Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Isn't it remarkable..

..how some things remind us of so many other completely unrelated things, places, people and times.. Ever tried tracing back to find why, how? I do it a lot, and the association brings back so much more in terms of memories.. like this song. I heard it today after a really long time, and in one shot it reminded me of a mostly out-of-touch friend, my ex-roommate, my M-I-L n bro', my previous work place, the first day of our Malaysia trip and an ipod that I did not even remember possessing. Its rather interesting to relate them all to this vintage, classic gem of a song. To begin with, my friend S, who was just a colleague then, caught me humming it over a coffee break, and corrected me with the tune. He left me stunned, to say the least! Firstly, he is a South Indian, born and brought up in Bangalore, always talks in Kannada/English and I did not expect him to know a rarely heard, Hindi devotional song back from the 50's. And then, what surprised me even more was his rendition of it. I had no idea that he could sing so well, that he has such a beautiful voice and a keen sense of music to top it. For the uninitiated, it is not an easy song, mostly in the lower octave, and climbs only in the second stanza. Needless to say, I was completely bowled over. We soon became friends, courtesy an exceptionally common interest in Hindi film music. Even now, whenever we meet, which is only about once an year, I don't let him off without singing this one for me. Ok.. I got carried away a bit.. With the other people it is rather simple. I sang this song on the first day after my wedding, and my M-I-L liked it lots. She still asks me to sing it at times. And my roomie made fun of me for singing such an outdated song, that too one that is devotional. Brother actually went to the extent of saying that I did not deserve the Ipod if this is what I put in it. I downloaded this song from the internet after a vigorous search the day I joined my previous organization, since I hardly had anything else to do. Therefore it also reminds me of my first day there. And finally, the Malaysia trip.. the husband caught me unaware, absent-mindedly humming this and recorded it on the handycam. So our VCD for the trip opens with 'Darshan do' in yours truly's voice :)

p.s. I have been trying to upload the song to esnips since last week.. never occured to me that I could find it on YouTube. And surprise surprise.. the comments there tell me that Slumdog Millionaire has an adaptation of it!

No comments: