Thursday, January 12, 2023

My affair with K-dramas..

 ..started during the COVID lockdown. I had been hearing exciting things about Korean entertainment for a while, and the lockdown gave us ample opportunity to sample new stuff. Funnily, we started K-dramas as a family and the husband enjoyed it more than anyone else. However, he got over it fairly quickly while Pari and I got hooked to them. Here's what I have watched so far with my quick comments and ratings. I will try to list them in the order in which we watched them, as far as I can remember.

1. What's wrong with Secretary Kim?: The first drama we watched and which made us K-drama fans. Not much of a story, but a feel-good romance with lot of fun moments. 4/5

2. Crash landing on you: Commonly known as CLOY, this is amongst the most  successful k-dramas of all times. Really, it was absolutely perfect in all aspects - interesting story, tender romance, situational comedy, suspense, fast-pace action, superb performances, great background score, stunning visuals and chemistry. 10/5

3. Its okay to be not okay: Again, a phenomenal drama. All the things that I said about CLOY above stand true for this one as well. It is an exceptional work on human feelings, love, insecurities and trauma with a fairy tale feel. 5/5

4. Memories of Alhambra: I chose to watch this because I just couldn't get enough of Hyun bin after CLOY. The first couple of episodes were dreamy and I imagined this soon becoming my new obsession. A crackling chemistry between two good looking people, sights of Granada, and the enigma of Alhambra.. what is there to not like! However, it soon ventured into virtual territories, where the lined between reality and perception became blurred. The following episodes didn't work for me despite trying real hard and I gave up on this halfway. 3/5

5. Romance is a bonus book: A warm, comforting drama. Again, the lead pair were really great looking - I think the actress is the prettiest in all k-dramas that I have seen. 4/5

Alright, this post is getting really long. I haven't even watched my k-dramas tonight. My mother often scolds me for staying up late at night watching TV, and I tell her - mujhe apne Korean heroes ko dekhe bina neend nahi aati hain(I can't sleep without watching my Korean heroes). So long!

No comments: