Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Rhotacism

We learn so much from and because of kids. I learnt the word 'rhotacism' courtesy my little nephew S. His tendency to replace all R's & L's with V's and W's is a source of constant amusement in our family. We often imitate him in our casual conversations, and I have gotten so used to it that I once greeted my manager at work with: "Havvo, How aw wou?" Thankfully, he chose to ignore it like so many of my peculiarities. 

S is the most adorable, sweetest child that I have ever met. And it is not just me who is so smitten with him, every single person who interacts with S turns into a fan in no time. His genuine concern for all and his unusual kindness makes it quickly to your heart. His rhotacism just makes him all the more adorable. 

On that point, I recall this incident from last year this time. S was 3 at the time. I was visiting and had promised to take him and his older brother A to the aquarium. S was checking with me every few minutes on the start time.

S: When do we go to the aquarium?
M: In a short while.

25 seconds later..
S: When do we go to the aquarium?
M: Shortly. 
S: When?
M: We will go to the aquarium after I put my lipstick.
S: (brightens up) Whipstick whipstick!
M: Do you apply lipstick?
S: Yes!!
M: How?
S: (drawing finger circles around his mouth) wound and wound and wound..

I still think of this every time I apply a lipstick.

No comments: